Saturday, May 8, 2010

Motherhood Part 1---The Dark Side

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. That gives some women a day to look forward to and others a day to dread. I have heard quite a few women express their strong dislike for Mother's Day. Some even say they hate it. This negative attitude toward a day to celebrate mothers combined in my mind with lots of ads I have seen lately for the perfect gifts for mom and this is what happened...
Warning! The following will come across as quite negative but there will be a positive turn in part two. Stay with me now...
(Told from an everymother point of view)
Dear People Shopping for Mother's Day gifts,
Hear are a few suggestions---
Jewelry's always nice. How about a #1Mom pin to make me laugh or make me cry if other people laugh when I wear it.
Some chocolate would be really sweet. Just be sure to include a set of scales that always show 125 pounds no matter how much chocolate I consume---or you could get me a cute jogging outfit but be careful with that one---even on high doses of chocolate I can be sensitive and slightly paranoid.
Perfume would be great to hide the smell of baby throwup on those days I don't get time to shower. (Because the baby's sick and throwing up)
Flowers would be greatly appreciated in case I don't get around to planting any and I could relate to them when they wilt.
A pretty scarf would be just the thing to cover the increasing number of creases in my neck.
A gliding rocker would help me get the baby to sleep and maybe relax me after the baby's in bed and I can't sleep.
A handbag would be great---but get a big one---one that's large enough for me to carry around all my guilt---better yet, a carry on with wheels would probably be easier on my back.
Some new cookware would be nice with a large pot that I could use for stew. I'm good at stewing...bakeware would be good too---I could whip up a batch of worries in no time and serve them with a generous helping of regret.
How about a watch? You could get me a magnetic to-do list to go with it so I could be reminded of how much I have to do and how little time I have to do it.
Or maybe you could give me a coupon for a free massage---It can be a real pain in the neck carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders...
Maybe the best idea of all would be an elegantly decorated stick to beat myself with...

No comments:

Post a Comment